Schedule Bevin to speak at your conference or event
Bevin (Ben) Cohen is an author, herbalist, seed saver and owner of Small House Farm in Michigan. He lives and works at Small House Farm with his wife, Heather, and two sons, Elijah and Anakin, on their family homestead in Sanford, Michigan.
Bevin offers workshops and lectures across the country on the benefits of living closer to the land through seeds, herbs, and locally grown food. He is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in numerous publications including Mother Earth News, Hobby Farms Magazine, and The Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company Catalog. He is the author of four books, including Saving Our Seeds, The Artisan Herbalist and his highly anticipated new book, The Complete Guide to Seed & Nut Oils.
The Cohen family grows seed crops, herbs and flowers and also keeps a small flock of laying hens. Bevin is also the founder of Michigan Seed Library, a community seed sharing initiative that has worked closely with a number of communities to help establish seed library programs across his home state and beyond.
Booking Inquiries – Contact Bevin at (989) 708-0549 or Email SmallHouseFarm@gmail.com
“If the idea of saving seeds sounds boring, Ben Cohen will surprise you with a remarkably entertaining talk.”
“One of the funniest, smartest and most interesting people I’ve ever had the privilege of learning from.”
“Bevin’s enthusiasm is contagious! His ability to connect and engage all types of audiences makes him a crowd favorite!”
“Bevin’s exuberance and experience combine to create an engaging and educational event. Any audience will be highly entertained by his humor and energy!”
Available in-person or virtual
These can be customized to fit your group or events needs. Just let us know what you are looking for and Bevin would be happy to customize a workshop for you.
Making Teas, Tinctures & Oils [ at home ]
Learn how to create salves, balms, and tinctures using herbs that you can grow in your own backyard. A great presentation for gardeners and herb enthusiasts looking to take their herbal passion to the next level! Bevin will share his decades of experience as an herbalist guiding participants through the many processes involved in crafting a wide range of herbal products for health, wellness and beauty.
The Art of Herbal Tea
Blend, brew and enjoy an irresistible selection of herbal teas while Bevin shares his knowledge on the history and folklore of the various herbal ingredients. Document your impressions of each herb’s aroma and flavor as we explore the various layers of a well-crafted herbal tea. Create a custom herbal tea to enjoy at home with an optional make and take activity!
Wildcrafted Herbs and Cold Pressed Oils
Working with herbs from one’s own bioregion opens the door to Nature’s abundance, aiding the herbalist in crafting exceptional health and beauty products. Learn more about Bevin’s small-scale seed and nut oil production business and how his focus on locally crafted ingredients became his recipe for success!
A Pressing Matter: Small Scale Seed and Nut Oil Production
This informative session will cover a number of oilseed crops that can easily be grown on the homestead or farm for small-scale oil production. Bevin will discuss growing, foraging, harvesting and processing various seeds and nuts and will also explore equipment needs, proper storage as well as various uses for the freshly pressed oils.
Saving and Sharing Seeds
Sharing our heirloom garden seeds is the cornerstone of any localized food movement. Attendees will learn all about seed libraries and seed swaps and how to organize and maintain these important programs for their communities. From material lists and organizational best-practices to programing, marketing and securing volunteers, Bevin breaks down the steps to building a sustainable seed community.
Seed Saving 101
Learn the basics of this traditional skill through a blend of hands-on demonstration and lecture. This presentation is fully customizable depending on your needs and can be a one-hour indoor demonstration or a multiple hour, fully immersive experience.
Contact us for 2022/2023 Bookings
Seed Library Openings and Workshops at 50+ Michigan Public and Private Libraries
In-State and Out-of-State Master Gardeners Association Groups
Educator for the Urban Farming Program at Delta College
Dozens of Garden Clubs, Herb Groups, Seminars and Conferences
- Central Michigan Seed Swap 2015,2016,2017
- Michigan Library Association Conference 2016
- Seed Brown County Annual Seed Swap, IN 2016, 2017, 2018
- UNC Annual Seed Swap w/ Vandana Shiva, NC 2017
- Appalachian Seed Swap, Pikeville KY 2017.2018
- Appleton Seed Library, Appleton, WI 2017
- Great Lakes Herb Faire 2017
- Detroit Public School Teacher Training 2017, 2018
- Ohio Valley Seed Swap 2017
- Neighborhood Garden Coalition, MI 2017
- Saginaw County Master Gardeners 2017
- Midland Center for the Arts, MI 2017
- Earthworks Skill Swap, MI 2017
- Midland County Master Gardeners, MI 2017
- International Herb Association Conference 2017,2018
- Baltimore County Master Gardeners, MD 2017
- Hamilton County Master Gardeners, IN 2017
- Food and Growers Association Conference, IN 2017
- National Heirloom Expo, CA 2018
- Northwood University, MI 2018
- Wayne County Master Gardeners, MI 2018
- Women’s Farm and Garden Association, MI 2018
- Traverse City Botanical Garden, 2018
- Northern Michigan Small Farm Conference 2018, 2019
- Indiana Small Farm Conference 2018
- Sacred Seed Symposium, MI 2018
- Michigan Rural Library Conference, 2018
- Heartwood Herb Gathering, Ontario 2018
- Pierceton Tomato Festival, IN 2018
- Michigan Master Gardener College 2018
- Atlantic Canadian Organic Regional Network, P.E.I. 2018
- Rootskills Conference Boston, MA 2018
- Warrick County Conservation Annual Seminar, IN 2018
- Michigan Family Farm Conference 2019
- Organic Association of Kentucky Conference 2019
- Michigan Herb Conference 2019
- Genesee County Master Gardeners 2019